Across the vast expanse of the United States, a multitude of individuals, including millions of Gen X-ers, Baby Boomers, and other esteemed American seniors, hold onto the heartfelt desire to gracefully age within the comforting confines of their own cherished homes. With a profound yearning to preserve the treasured memories and familiar surroundings they have cultivated over the years, these resilient individuals seek solace in the thought of gracefully navigating the journey of aging while being enveloped by the warmth and security of their beloved abodes. Regrettably, not every dwelling is conducive to the needs of elderly individuals. At VanderBeken Remodel, we specialize in assisting Snohomish County homeowners in transforming their properties to enhance safety and accessibility. Our team is dedicated to creating living spaces that cater specifically to the needs of each individual, ensuring a comfortable and secure environment. Let us guide you on a journey of home modification that will not only improve your quality of life but also allow you to age gracefully in the place you call home.

Most Americans Hope to Age in Place

Aging in Place Couple_2_smallWhile the desire to age in place is strong among older Americans, there are indeed a number of barriers that can make this goal challenging. These barriers encompass various factors such as the rising cost of living, increasing disability rates, and the overall impact of life expectancy on individuals' ability to remain in their current homes. Despite these challenges, the majority of older adults still hold onto the hope of staying in their familiar surroundings for as long as possible.

One significant obstacle that older adults face is the escalating cost of living. With the rising prices of housing, healthcare, and everyday essentials, financial constraints can make it difficult for seniors to afford the necessary modifications to their homes to support aging in place. Additionally, adapting a home to accommodate changing mobility needs and other age-related challenges often comes with a hefty price tag.

Moreover, disability rates are on the rise, further complicating the goal of aging in place. Factors such as demographic trends and the increasing prevalence of chronic health conditions contribute to the growing number of individuals with disabilities. These disabilities can limit autonomy and independence, making it harder for seniors to navigate their homes without assistance or modifications.

Another consideration is the impact of life expectancy on aging in place. While longer life expectancy is generally viewed as a positive outcome, it also means that individuals are more likely to face age-related health issues and limitations. As people live longer, the need for home modifications and support services becomes more crucial to maintain a safe and comfortable living environment.


FAQs About Aging in Place Remodeling in Snohomish County

How do older adults plan for aging in place?

Planning for aging in place requires careful consideration and budgeting. As the homeownership rate among older American adults continues to rise, it becomes essential to address the unique challenges and needs that come with aging in one's own home.

One crucial aspect of planning for aging in place is discussing modifications to the current home and exploring affordable in-home services. By considering necessary home improvements and the assistance of caregivers, seniors can create a budget that accommodates their evolving needs. This approach allows them to avoid the costly expenses associated with assisted living communities and Adult Day Health Care (ADHC) programs.

Furthermore, certain home improvements related to aging in place may even be eligible for tax deductions. These deductions serve as an additional incentive for older adults to invest in modifications that enhance health and safety at home.

To determine the most suitable renovation projects, it is advisable to work with a Certified Aging-in-Place Specialist (CAPS) such as VanderBeken Remodel. These experts can provide personalized recommendations based on an individual's specific requirements and goals. They possess specialized knowledge and expertise in the unique needs of the older adult population, ensuring that modifications are tailored to enhance accessibility, safety, and convenience.

What is the most common aging in place remodeling project?


Common aging in place remodeling projects include simple and relatively inexpensive modifications such as updating light fixtures, installing railings, and applying floor grip tape. These improvements aim to remove trip hazards and enhance mobility within the home. Widening doorways to accommodate wheelchairs and walkers is another popular modification, along with making kitchen and bathroom updates to better serve the evolving needs of senior homeowners.

Other aging-in-place remodeling projects are more extensive and as such come with higher costs. In-law suites, also known as guest cottages or mother-in-law suites, are increasingly popular additions to homes. These attached or detached accessory dwelling units (ADUs) provide additional living space for paid caregivers, family members, friends, or renters. In-law suites can be a wise investment, serving various purposes such as rental units, accommodation for live-in nurses, or housing for family and friends.

Planning for aging in place remodeling involves budgeting, discussing modifications, and exploring in-home services. Working with a CAPS remodeler ensures personalized recommendations and collaboration with other professionals. By making modifications that enhance accessibility, safety, and convenience, older adults can maintain their independence and live comfortably in their own homes as they age. For a list of recommended modifications check out our blog post "12 Home Improvements to Support Aging in Place."

What does it mean to design for aging in place?

To design for aging-in-place means to modify an existing property or build a new property that prioritizes the evolving needs of our senior community. This is sometimes referred to as "universal home design" because it makes homes accessible to clients of all abilities and ages.

Universal design is a concept that goes beyond simply modifying homes for aging in place. It is a philosophy that aims to create spaces and products that are accessible and inclusive for people of all abilities and ages. According to the University of Washington, universal design is "the process of creating products that are accessible to people with a wide range of abilities." This means designing homes, buildings, and public spaces in a way that removes barriers and promotes independence for everyone.

Universal design principles focus on making environments usable and convenient for all individuals, regardless of their physical or cognitive abilities. It involves incorporating features and elements that accommodate a wide range of needs, such as wider doorways and hallways for wheelchair accessibility, lever handles instead of doorknobs for easier grip, and non-slip flooring to prevent falls. By integrating these design elements, universal design ensures that individuals can navigate and use their environment safely and comfortably.

The goal of universal design is to create spaces that are not only functional but also aesthetically pleasing. It strives to challenge the notion that accessibility and beauty are mutually exclusive. Universal design principles can be applied to various aspects of a home, including the layout, furniture, lighting, and color schemes. The aim is to create a harmonious and welcoming environment that promotes inclusivity and independence.

Designing for aging in place is an important aspect of universal design. As people age, their physical and cognitive abilities may change, and their homes need to adapt to these evolving needs. By incorporating universal design principles into aging-in-place remodeling projects, homes can be transformed into safe and accessible spaces that support independent living for older adults.

The Universal design philosophy goes hand in hand with aging in place remodeling by ensuring that homes are designed to meet the changing needs of older adults. By embracing universal design principles, individuals can create environments that are not only functional but also aesthetically pleasing, promoting independence and inclusivity for all.

New call-to-action

Is aging-in-place remodeling more expensive?

Couple with lady in wheelchair_vertical_small

One of the main concerns when considering aging-in-place remodeling is the cost. However, it's important to note that the cost of most aging-in-place remodeling projects is still far less than what you might spend on a nursing home. In fact, the alternatives to aging in place can present major recurring costs.

According to data from, the average cost for a semi-private room in a nursing home is around $6,844 per month, and for a private room, it's even higher at $7,698 per month. These costs can quickly add up and may not be sustainable for everyone.

On the other hand, while some home modifications for aging in place may come with higher upfront costs, they are still significantly more affordable in the long run. This home remodeling cost guide will provide additional information about how much you might expect to pay for aging-in-place modification services, also commonly referred to as "Universal Design".

What is an in-law suite, and is it a good investment?

An in-law suite is an attached or detached accessory dwelling unit (ADU) or home addition occupied by paid caregivers, family, friends or renters. These "suites" can be as large as a two-bedroom apartment or as small as a primary suite.

In-law suites are also referred to as guest cottages, granny houses and mother-in-law suites. Due to both the affordable housing crisis and a recent increase in multigenerational households, in-law suites are becoming more common in America.

Homeowners can use in-law suites as rental units, as apartments for live-in nurses and to house family and friends. As such, these additions can be a worthwhile investment. To learn more about the value of home additions, head over to our resource "Snohomish County ADUs and Home Additions."

Why should I work with a Certified Aging-in-Place remodeler?

There are numerous advantages to partnering with a Certified Aging-in-Place remodeler. When you work with a Certified Aging-in-Place remodeler like Jennifer and Ron VanderBeken, you can benefit from their specialized knowledge and expertise in this sector of the industry. They have undergone extensive training and testing to earn their CAPS designation, which means they have a deep understanding of the unique needs of the older adult population and are knowledgeable about aging-in-place home modifications.

certified-aging-in-place-specialist-caps-logo1By collaborating with a CAPS, you can receive personalized recommendations for updates that will help you or your loved one live independently in your own home. Whether it's making changes to improve accessibility, enhance safety, or increase convenience, a CAPS can guide you through the process and ensure that your home is modified to meet your specific needs.

One of the key advantages of working with a CAPS is their ability to collaborate with other professionals, such as occupational therapists (OTs). Together, a CAPS and OT can create a comprehensive home modification or build plan based on the safety and functional needs of an individual. By considering factors like mobility, strength, and cognitive abilities, they can design modifications that promote independence and improve quality of life.

CAPS also have the expertise to work alongside general contractors, interior designers, structural engineers, and other professionals involved in the remodeling process. This ensures that the modifications are not only functional but also aesthetically pleasing and structurally sound.

When you partner with a Certified Aging-in-Place remodeler, you can have peace of mind knowing that your home modifications are being handled by someone who understands the unique challenges and requirements of aging in place. They will work closely with you to create a customized solution that addresses your specific needs and goals, allowing you to continue living comfortably and safely in your own home as you age.

So, if you're considering making modifications to your home to support aging in place, partnering with a CAPS accredited company like VanderBeken Remodel to provide you with the expertise and guidance you need to create a home that is tailored to your evolving needs.

Schedule a Call with Us - Estela-2

The First Step Towards Transforming Your Home into a Safe and Comfortable Space 

To take the first step towards transforming your home (or the home of a loved one) into a safe and comfortable space for aging in place, we invite you to book an initial phone consultation with our team at VanderBeken Remodel.

By booking a call with us, you will have the opportunity to discuss your specific needs and goals, allowing us to tailor our expertise to your unique situation. Our experienced professionals will guide you through the entire process, providing you with the knowledge and support you need to make informed decisions about modifying your home. Together, we will create a comprehensive plan that prioritizes safety, security, and your overall well-being as you age gracefully in the place you call home. Don't wait any longer – book a call with VanderBeken Remodel today and let us turn your dreams into a reality. 

For more information about our approach to remodeling, read through our process

VanderBeken Remodel Service Area for Aging in Place Remodeling in Snohomish County

Our service area for aging in place remodeling in Washington extends to various cities and towns in Snohomish County:

  • Aging in Place Remodeling Edmonds, WA
  • Aging in Place Remodeling Everett, WA
  • Aging in Place Remodeling Marysville, WA
  • Aging in Place Remodeling Mill Creek, WA
  • Aging in Place Remodeling Mukilteo, WA
  • Aging in Place Remodeling Snohomish, WA

At VanderBeken Remodel, we believe that aging should be a graceful journey filled with comfort, security, and joy. With our unparalleled expertise in aging in place remodeling, we are dedicated to creating homes that empower you to embrace the aging process with confidence and live life to the fullest. Trust us to transform your house into a place where you can thrive, surrounded by the familiarity and love that only your home can offer. Experience the difference of VanderBeken Remodel and embark on a new chapter of aging in place with grace and elegance.

Service Area Map REVISED with Edmonds for VanderBeken Remodel

Learn More About Remodeling Through Curated Life & Home

There are many many topics relevant to remodels: cost, material, design, just to name a few. Learn more about what to expect and what you must be aware of when it comes to kitchen remodels on Curated Life & Home. Click a button below to explore some of our most popular articles.